THINGS TO DOAround Heber Springs
We thought we would share a bit of info about what there is to do in Heber Springs, in case you find yourself with some spare time on your hands during the week of Rendezvous (which is very unlikely as we will be keeping you busy!)
Check out www.heber-springs.com for a great overview of what's available in town.
History & Educational Stuff
- Corps of Engineers Visitors Center (at the western end of the dam) - information center & exhibit hall, with a theatre and 20 min presentation on area history.
- Dam Viewing Platform (at the eastern end of the dam) - where JFK made his last major appearance before his ill-fated trip to Dallas a few weeks later. Nice view of the dam.
- Greers Ferry National Fish Hatchery - Rainbow and Brook trout, visitor center, self-guided hatchery tours, trout fishing in the Little Red River adjacent to hatchery grounds. Hours are 7 am - 3 pm daily.
- Hikers can enjoy two award-winning national nature trails located near the (Corps) welcome center. Mossy Bluff extends along a tree-covered bluff overlooking the Little Red River, immediately below the dam. It ends almost one mile away at a rustic shelter, which offers a panoramic view of the river and dam. Nearby is Buckeye Trail, a short barrier-free, paved pathway designed for the physically challenged. Guide maps for both trails are available at the center.
- You can also climb the land-locked SugarLoaf which is out by the four way stop, behind the college. Look for the sign for the trailhead off Hwy 110
- Bridal Veil Falls - pretty waterfall and creek area. North of town on Hwy 25 before you go up the big curvy hill, turn onto Bridal Veil Falls Rd.
- Collin's Creek - fed by a pipe from the lake, this is a lovely little creek with bunches of rocks creating tiny waterfalls as it descends. There is a trail entrance and parking along the entrance to JFK campground.
- Spring Park – located in the heart of town on East Main St. Named after its natural springs which are covered by pavilions and accessible throughout the park.
- Recommended by the locals are the Thunderbird Country Club (9 holes) and Red Apple Inn & Country Club (18-holes).
- Get your Arkasnsas fishing license online here
- Greers Ferry Lake holds world records for Walleye (22 lb 11oz) and Hybrid Striped Bass (27 lb 5 oz). The Little Red River tail water, which feeds into Greers Ferry Lake, holds the current world-record for German Brown Trout (40 lb 4 oz). Trophy-sized fish are common in our waters, come see for yourself, maybe hire one of the many fishing guides in the area that will put you “on the fish” in the lake or river.
- Fishing guide service - www.redrivertroutdock.com
- Downtown around the courthouse you'll find MANY cute shops and flea markets.
- Walmart has pharmacy, groceries
- The Gem Theatre downtown shows one movie at a time.
- M-F - 7:30 pm
- Sat and Sun - 2 pm & 7:30 pm
- Ozark Animal Medical Center
- 2150 Bypass Rd, Heber Springs, AR 72543
- Sartin Vet
- 7200 Hwy 110 W, Heber Springs, AR 72543
- Dog Sitter by Alex 501-691-5150